"And when that day comes, I'll also give thanks for all those buckets who brought me to this welling moment" -Macrina Wiederkehr, A Tree Full of Angels

Religion that is pure and undefiled before God, the Father, is this: to care for orphans and widows in their distress, and to keep oneself unstained by the world. -James 1:27 NRSV

Sunday, February 17, 2013

Story Time

As I've let on, I've been discovering a little bit about myself the last few weeks and today is no different. I've learned that things are not always what they seem- something I knew already, but hadn't applied to all aspects of my life. However, that has changed as a result of this weekend. I went home and got to catch up with some wonderful people and hear their stories. Stories are a funny kind of thing. They are the reason I want to be a social worker, because there are so many different types of stories. They are also the reason why life is interesting- hearing stories from my grandmothers has taught me that. I also know that there is something very important in stories- the plot twist. This twist works both ways: a story can be going perfectly until something happens that forever changes the course of the plot and more often than not it is not seen as for the better, however, a story can also be going horribly wrong for quite some time, and then turn for the best. It is this second option that we must strive for. This is the very essence of hope, I've found, and it is the reason I have decided (a long time ago) to dedicate my life to helping others in whatever way that I am meant for. (For right now, as far as I can tell, it is through Social Work). Our stories are what make us who we are. There are almost always pages that we would rather rip out than re-read, but they also make up the plot, no matter how difficult they are to even keep in the book. This may be a very dragged out metaphor- but I find that it works. I love stories, and I love people. Therefore- I want to help people to enjoy their stories and in turn their lives, because that's what our great Author has worked so hard to create. Here I stand, a humble librarian (or attempting to be one).

No comments:

Post a Comment