"And when that day comes, I'll also give thanks for all those buckets who brought me to this welling moment" -Macrina Wiederkehr, A Tree Full of Angels

Religion that is pure and undefiled before God, the Father, is this: to care for orphans and widows in their distress, and to keep oneself unstained by the world. -James 1:27 NRSV

Saturday, March 16, 2013

Bare Feet and Blue Jeans

For those who doubt, yes I realize I grew up in the comfort of my suburban neighborhood just north of Charlottesville. However, I also grew up driving to Clifton Forge every year, listening to country music, and loving the windows rolled down. I have also come to realize that even though Charlottesville has many people that I don't know, everyone is connected in some quirky way or another and you come to realize that it is really just a large small town. If everyday of my life could be 85 or 90 degrees and I could live by some form of water; pool, river, lake, what have you, I would never wish for anything more. Driving just because with the windows down and good ol' country music coming through my speakers always makes me as happy as can be. But, just like the seasons which make the summer go away, life sometimes takes the warm fuzzy feeling away too. Good thing I know exactly the remedy for that- Country music. No matter the weather, or my mood, if I hear some good ol' southern comfort coming through my speakers, I am (almost) instantly reminded of my happy days by the pool or the river and driving barefoot with the windows down. Here's to counting down the days until I can be doing just that, currently it's 48. But in my mind, with a little help from Toby, Jason, Kenny, Brad, Luke, Garth, Tim, Zac, and countless others, that number decreases drastically every time I turn the radio on. Enjoy.

No comments:

Post a Comment