So today is Granddaddy's birthday, he would have been 81 today! Today is also Wednesday, which means today is the day of the week that I visit my Little Sister at her elementary school. So, of course, I am reminded of one of my favorite memories of Granddaddy at school today because my 9 year old sister was describing her uncle's house to me and wanted to make sure I knew what a man cave was... I in fact DO know what a man cave is because of Granddaddy's male grandchildren. Christmas 2010 with the Gaines/Newlon/Doll clan was filled with wonderful memories of eating yummy food and opening up presents (especially the bridge calendar that Granddaddy and Grandby always got us), most notably of these presents was a gift to my cousin Henry (who was 16 at the time) from my mom that was a sign that says "What happens in the man cave stays in the man cave." Today is turning out to be a good day, the sad feelings of missing Granddaddy on his first birthday without him are mostly overcome by the little things that make us laugh, it's a tough day, but a good day. I definitely know where I come from, so I know where I'm going.
Lots of love Granddaddy,
Your Snicklefritz
No comments:
Post a Comment